Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I Hate Lying Virgins!

It's amazing at how fast word gets out on the web when someone is trying to drum up support for a stupid cause. The past few days, we've seen reports all over the internets about a guy named Geoff from Toronto who is a virgin and who had a bet with his female best friend. The bet was that if he could get 5 Million hits on his website within 30 days, she'd sleep with him. Sounds like a worthy challenge for a sex starved 25 year to take. And so it began.

The website went up (A Virgin's Plea), the word started spreading around the blogosphere and the media started calling. It was working and due to all the publicity, Geoff was well on his way to getting a little lady love from his best friend. The only problem? It isn't real. Oh, the website was real and it sure sounded good, but if you go to the website now, there is a statement saying that it was an experiment in marketing by someone named Matthew. He is now apologizing for his hoax and says:

Over the past few days, people have raised several questions about the website avirginsplea.com. I feel it is both my moral and ethical obligation at this point to spare my friend Geoff from any further personal embarrassment.

The site was a viral marketing experiment that got far too out of hand. Geoff was nothing more than a name and a photo - the story and website were created by me and all media were performed by myself.

I apologize to the people of Toronto and everyone from around the world who saw our site. We did not expect this idea to go so far, and the real connections so many of the visitors to the site made to "Geoff's" story has made this experience especially difficult.

Well, that's a real shame. I was all about hooking a web virgin up with a site hit so he could get his pickle juiced. Now that I know it's all a lie, I feel so dirty. It's like finding out that Ashlee Simpson is a manufactured talentless hack or that George Bush lied about WMD's in order to got to war for his oil loving friends. They all shatter my allusion that the world is a good safe place full of honest people. Why Geoff/Matthew, why?


The fake virgin Geoff: Not really named Geoff, but I'm sure he's really a virgin.

No comments: