Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Gay Marriage's 2 Year Anniversary

Today is the 2 year anniversary of gay marriage rights in Massachusetts. 2 years ago today, gay people lined up at offices around MA to apply for their right to marry the person they love. The sky hasn't fallen and the ground underneath our feet has shaken us to oblivion. Just a lot of normal people married the person they loved and got on with their life. It's sad that it's still only the state of MA that recognizes our right to marry in the US, but hopefully other states will follow suit in the future. Alas, it hasn't helped me because my boyfriend is Spanish and even if we got married here, immigration is still a federal thing, so he's not allowed to move here to be with his husband even if he's legally married to me. Makes no sense, but that's the world of Bushco for you. Hence, I'm headed to Spain in a year to be married in a country that has recognized we have the same rights in every way as straight people. Spain is beautiful and welcoming and despite my reservations about leaving my own country, I am happy to be going somewhere that appreciates me and will allow me to be with my beautiful man in every way - legally, spiritually and physically.

Unfortunately, here in MA, there are still those idiots who are trying to reverse gay marriage rights in the state. A constitutional amendment is still being pushed and will be voted on here in the legislature on July 12th. If it passes, it will likely go on the Nov. 2008 ballot to be voted on in the general election. And the conservative hateful idiots who are behind this will be pushing super hard and throwing tons of money towards getting the bigots out to vote. So, if you are a MA resident, contact your representatives and tell them not to vote for the amendment. If it does eventually go on the ballot, vote against it and convince your friends to do the same. If you are outside the state, you can still participate by sending letters to politicians or contributing money to organizations working to stop this hateful amendment. Any manner in which you can help is always appreciated. Go to Mass Equality to get the whole story and for all the ways in which you can contribute to this great cause. Thank you.


Do we look dangerous and immoral to you?

7 comments:

Miller said...

Well, at least you look dangerous and immoral. Then again, I know you, so I'm probably biased.

Tallsonofagun said...

Ha ha, you're funny. I may look that way, but I'm about as dangerous and immoral as Donny Osmond at a church picnic.

Anonymous said...

No baby! We look great. I just want to say something ... "Viva Zapatero" and I wish that you guys will have a gayfriendly president one day ...

Miller said...

Donny Osmond at a church picnic! That's exactly what I'm saying here!

The dude might actually sing, and that would be dangerous and immoral.

But you always did have a thing for Donny.

Miller said...

Maybe I shouldn't have posted the Donny thing.
1) It might be over the line
2) I definitely don't want to get in a dirty laundry war with you.
3) I actually can't remember if you were a Donny fan or a Marie fan.

Tallsonofagun said...

Trust me, it's not over the line. If you had said I liked Jimmy Osmond - now THAT would have been over the line.

Anonymous said...

Hi, guantanamera121212